Photo credit Lesly Juarez from Unsplash
Often, the concept of “mindfulness” is coupled with the practice of meditation. While meditation has many benefits, including stress reduction and pain relief, you don’t have to sit in silence for minutes on end to be mindful! Finding the balance between your well-being and daily to-do’s can lead to greater productivity.
Incorporating mindfulness in your day can help with decision-making as it allows you to be fully engaged by:
- Focusing your attention on the present moment
- Improving or regulating your emotions
- Recognizing the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing at that time
There are many mindful activities you can try, and all will help you focus throughout the day. Here are a few to add to your daily routine when you want to take a mindful minute. Try them once, twice, or throughout the day, and feel the stress melt away!
- Bring your attention to your eyes, close them and relax your eyelids and the muscles around your eye sockets. Notice the tension releasing.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose. Hold the breath for a few moments, then breathe out through your mouth slowly. Repeat this sequence 2-3 times. Take note of how you feel before and after this exercise. This method of breathing is also helpful in lowering your heart rate.
- Sit quietly with your eyes open. Identify 5 things in the room you see, 4 things you feel, 3 things you hear, 2 things you smell, and 1 thing you taste.
For more insight on mindfulness, you can register for our upcoming Introduction to Mindfulness class here. Or, if you would like to learn more about how we at Focused Solutions can help you navigate life’s unique challenges together, contact us today.